The History of Stonehurst Place
Built in 1896 by George Burch Hinman for his growing family and known then simply as Stonehurst, the home belonged to the same family for over 100 years and so retains much of the original layout, features and hardware.
George Burch Hinman's parents emigrated from England to Canada, and then settled in Atlanta in 1871. A contractor and entrepreneur, during the late 19th century Hinman built textile mills throughout the Southeast and owned cotton gin and furniture factories in Atlanta. He had several brothers among which was Thomas, a nationally prominent dentist and founder of the annual Hinman Dental Conference in Atlanta.
Stonehurst was home to George, his wife Cara Farnsworth Hinman, and their four children: William, Ruth, Dorothy and Cara (a fifth child, Virginia, did not survive). Later Stonehurst was also home to Dorothy's husband Charles Carter and their son George Hinman Carter.
Franklin M. Garrett, Atlanta Historical Society founder and Atlanta's first official historian, wrote "a significant influence in the material upbuilding of the Southeast... was that of George Burch Hinman, who in addition to his activities as engineer and builder, benefited the Atlanta region through his financing of worthwhile enterprises and his philanthropic activities."
Purchased from the family estate after the youngest daughter Ruth's death at Stonehurst in 1996, the home was a bed and breakfast for some years. Barb Shadomy purchased Stonehurst in 2007 after discovering it while in England studying interior and garden design. For 17 months Barb and her team of architects and contractors, specialists in historic and eco-friendly systems build, renovated and restored the home and its gardens to standards set by the US National Park Service, the GA State Historic Preservation Office, Southface and EarthCraft House.