At Stonehurst Place we cook with Organic ingredients whenever possible.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 9 oz box frozen shopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to drain
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 cup sliced leeks, I will use a sweet onion or green onions as substitute
- 3 cups cooked ham, diced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 loaf challah bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (6 cups)
- 7 eggs
- 1.5 cups whole mik
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups Italian shredded cheese blend
- Herbs to taste; oregano, basil, parsley, garlic, get creative!
1. Spray 13″ x 9″ (3 quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. You can use individual ramekins, just reduce baking time.
2. In 10-inch skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add spinach, bell peppers and leeks; cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until crisp-tender. Remove from heat.
3. In baking dish, layer the bread, ham, cooked spinach mixture, and 1 cup of the Cheddar cheese. In large bowl, beat eggs, milk, mustard and pepper with wire whisk until blended; pour over bread. Sprinkle with remaining Cheddar cheese and the Italian cheese blend.
Cover with foil; refrigerate at least 4 hours but no longer than 24 hours.
4. Heat oven to 325°F. Bake loosely covered 40 minutes. Uncover; bake about 30 minutes longer or until top is golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean.
download a pdf of this recipe
“Get creative: put anything in it you like! The egg/milk/cheese ratio should stay about the same. You can also make these individual by cooking in a ramekin, spray with Pam, when done, let set about 2 minutes, place saucer on top and flip it, then place plate on top and flip it back over to the real top on the plate. Great served with some kind of fruit.”