At Stonehurst Place we cook with Organic ingredients whenever possible.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup whole milk
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 can cherry pie filling, 21 ounces – divided
- 9 inch pie crust, unbaked
- 2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed (or one 9 oz. container)
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate,
- grated chocolate curls, to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a saucepan, combine the first five ingredients and cook until it begins to boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
3. Add a small amount of the cocoa mixture to eggs, then add this to the cocoa mixture. Add 1/2 can (10 1/2 oz.) of the cherry pie filling to the cocoa mixture. Pour into unbaked 9-inch pie crust and bake for 35-45 minutes. Remove from oven and cool, then chill for 1 hour.
4. Topping:: Combine 2 cups (9 oz.) frozen whipped topping with 1 oz. unsweetened grated chocolate. Spread over cooled pie. Place remaining cherry pie filling in center of pie on top of cream. Garnish with chocolate curls. Chill 1/2 hour before serving.
Cook’nWithCaroline Tip: “I double the filling to give our guests a deep, deep (and deeply rich) pie they enjoy every time!”