At Stonehurst Place we cook with Organic ingredients whenever possible.
- 4 small Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 medium eggs
- 1⁄2 cup whole mik
- 1⁄2 cup low gluten flower, such as Wondra 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Topping: : Mix the first five ingredients together in a sauce pan and cook over medium heat until done, about 10-15 minutes. If you want a thicker sauce, add a little cornstarch dissolved in water and cook 2 more minutes.
2. Pancakes:: Preheat oven to 400°F. While oven is warming, drop 1 Tablespoon butter in each of a 1-1⁄2 cup (12 oz) ramekin and place in oven for 10-12 minutes to melt butter and heat the ramekin.
3. Beat eggs until light and bright yellow. Gradually beat in milk and flour until smooth. Stir in vanilla extract. Divide batter among the 4 ramekin with the hot butter and return to oven. Turn temperature to 425°F and bake for 10 minutes.
4. Lower oven to 400°F and bake an additional 5 minutes or until puffed and golden on top. These will rise quite a bit above the ramekin.
5. Serve in the ramekin or remove them and plate. Top with the apple mixture and serve immediately; they will deflate rather quickly after the topping is added.
Cook’nWithCaroline Tip: “Sometimes I serve the topping on the side in another little dish for the guest to add so the puffs are quite high and dusted with powder sugar when the plate is presented.”